Join me in my quest to fill every day with art and creativity and follow me while I journey to improve my talents and skills by creating something each day for 365 days.

Crea Diem!

Monday, October 1, 2012

I'm Not a Procrastinator, I'm Just Slow

This post is only going to be full of pictures and pages of my sketchbook.  I don't know where my camera is and I don't really want to go looking for it, nor would I wish to deal with the poor quality pictures it takes.  So this week is about doodles and sketches.

I did this quick sketch in my AP European History class because I was bored and I wanted to make bread.  It just sounded like a pretty nice option at the time.  So then I went home and actually did make bread.  Italian Herb Bread.  But since it really isn't my recipe, I won't be sharing it.  I'm sure you can look one up online, if you like.  It's really good bread.  I actually made it in honor of . . .


Yep, September 21.  The 75th anniversary of the release of The Hobbit.  Also the day before Frodo's and Bilbo's birthday.  My friends and I all ate bread and then later my sister and I watched the Rankin/Bass animated Hobbit.  I adore that movie.  I really hope the new movie turns out amazing, but I know in my heart it'll never replace the movie I grew up with.  (Although just to be clear, I have, in fact, read the book and I know there is absolutely nothing in the world that could be better than the original).  I also made a goal to have the Silmarillion finished before the Hobbit comes out.  I feel really bad that I haven't read that one, yet.

So there I was, happily minding my own business, standing by my corner after school, waiting to pick up my friend, when this bee starts flying around me. Patiently I wait for it to realize I am not really a flower and, if you'll excuse the pun, buzz off. Well, despite the fact that I began to twist and turn in ways that a flower most certainly can not, the bee still would not leave me alone and promptly insisted on trying to fly up my shirt sleeve, at which point I threw my box of chocolates and Coca-Cola lunchbox across the school lawn and nearly tipped over backwards. Needless to say, the bee at last realized that this was no ordinary hydrangea and left me to the bemused and amused faces of passersby.

And now, the thing I've been most excited about showing, my plans for Hallowe'en.  Oh yeah!  I'm actually dressing up this year.  And as an added bonus, I'm making my own costume, too.  Currently the story is I'm going to be an Apprentice Painter in the Renaissance, though this is liable to change.  The costume most certainly will not be 100% historically acurate, but I hope it'll at least look pretty cool.  My oldest brother initiated a family-wide costume challenge recently, so this is why I've finally buckled down and decided to make a full scale costume and not just ones for dolls.  Wish me luck!

By the way, if you like my drawings, feel free to check out my online gallery at autnott.deviantart.com  

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're in for the costume contest!! I'm coming up with prizes and categories right now, so that's to be determined, but you're ideas look awesome! I'm so psyched that I'm not the only one getting really excited about costumes this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been dying to make some sort of awesome outfit recently and your challenge just gave me the right amount of motivation to actually come up with something. Wow, I didn't realize we'd be having prizes and categories and stuff. Now I'm even more stoked!

      Delete
    2. Oh, and you should totally post pictures of your costume's progress. From what Megan's told me, it sounds awesome.

      Delete
  2. WAit! Why haven't I been told about this costume contest? I'm dressing up this year too!!!
    I just have to laugh at your bee story. You are very funny :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks. I sometimes find it easier to just full on tell the story of a picture than talk 'about' the picture, if you know what I mean. Anyways, yes, Nate and Megan started a costume contest and you should totally join.

      Delete
    2. Awesome I want to join!! Tell me more this weekend :) And quite frankly I think the story behind the picture is much better than telling about the picture.

      Delete