Join me in my quest to fill every day with art and creativity and follow me while I journey to improve my talents and skills by creating something each day for 365 days.

Crea Diem!

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Look, I Created an Introduction

So - Create the Day.  What does it mean?  How does it work?  Where did it come from?  Who is it for?  And why is it on the internet?

If you've stumbled upon my blog or I happened to tell you about it, you probably aren't actually thinking of any of those questions.  No matter, I shall answer them anyways.

I was on a rather interesting plane ride from Manchester to Las Vegas, reading my Art Doll Quarterly, when I began to think about how I want my life to have more creativity in it.  I have never-ending lists of projects to be started and I spend hours on the computer looking up countless tutorials from bookbinding to juice-making.  But projects don't get started, tutorials go untried, and juice remains unmade.  So I challenged myself, whilst sitting between two slumbering strangers, to go a whole year and never leave a day unseized.  I would create something, anything, every day for 365 days.  My idea was set and all it needed was a title.  Create-Something-a-Day-for-a-Year seemed a little too wordy, as did its shorter version Create-Something-a-Day.  I shortened again and came up with Create-a-Day.  It wasn't as long and rolled off the tongue a little easier, but I still wasn't completely satisfied.  However, I had strained my wit and this seemed the only possibility left to me.  But then, when all hope of discovering a better title was lost, my sister and I began to converse via notes across the airline seats, written in Roman script.  I suddenly remembered that wonderful Latin adage - Carpe Diem!  Seize the day!  Create the Day!  It was the perfect match for my crazy idea.  My plan was formulated, a title was found, now all I needed was a way to document it.  My original plan was to haphazardly jot notes down in my project book (a book I use to plan projects and create concepts), but it seemed a little - I don't know - haphazard.  I then thought of making a journal specifically for my Create the Day project, but I thought it might distract me from my actual journal-writing (which I'm not very good at anyways).  So I decided to take my sister up on her suggestion that I start a blog.  She had suggested it a while ago and not really in relation to this project - she just wanted me to start a blog about myself because sometimes she gets the idea that I'm cool.  So, blogging it is.  My plan is to post a weekly update on my how my project is going and what I've been creating, rather than try and post every single day.  And, since it's public, I'll see if I can provide helpful tips I might discover and make some tutorials so I'm actually benefiting the internet community.

I hope you are just as excited to hear about my project as I am to work on it.  Please feel free to join in, critique my work, and shout out suggestions (I particularly love suggestions).  And remember, Crea Diem!

2 comments:

  1. A blog a blog!!! I know you're cool, and I'm so excited to see more of what you do, from my long distance home. Now go Crea Diem!

    ReplyDelete